Monday 28 November 2011

Design(er) Speak: Hansel



Hansel by designer Jo Soh is a Singaporean womenswear label known for its quirky playfulness. Jo aspires to design clothes that women of all ages will feel and look fabulous in. We caught up with Jo to find out more about what inspires her, her favorite shopping haunts and what her next collection is about! 

FS: Why did you take up fashion design and what is the story behind Hansel?

JS: I grew up with a very fashionable mother who had a large wardrobe of clothes. I have been exposed to different sort of clothes and understood how appearance can make you feel different about yourself. I decided to pursue fashion design when I was 12 years old. 

FS: We have noticed that many of your collections are based on a signature print of an animal. The previous being a swan and now a donkey! Are you a huge animal lover?

JS: I did not choose to design the prints according to the different animals. With my drawing background, I inject my personality into the brand. Most of the prints are actually drawings that I drew with my wax crayon. 

FS: Can you let us know what your next collection will be about?

JS: Our next collection will be based on the rainbow kueh lapis and it will be launched next year in February. 

FS: We have seen celebrities, such as Katy Perry, wearing Hansel. If you have the opportunity to dress any celebrity, who will it be?

JS: Zoey Deschanel. She is very quirky and loud, just the right Hansel girl. 

FS: What are your fashion pet peeves? What will you NEVER be caught dead wearing?

JS: My pet peeve will be to have a statement like that. I do not care and I always wear things with a sense of humour, even if its tacky.

FS: Which are your favorite countries for shopping and what are some of your favorite stores?

JS: It used to be H&M in Hong Kong and Uniqlo at Japan. If I were to shop overseas, I would try to look for their local designers as every country has its style.

FS: What do you think about the local fashion scene? What do you think are ways we can improve the scene?

JS: I think the local fashion scene are improving. More people are taking up fashion designs. Its an industry that is starting to grow. We have support for each other.  There is more interest in the local market and people are beginning to think of it as a viable career. What we can do better is that designers must focus on creating great products which will be able to convince more people to buy. More and more people can tell the diff between good and bad designs. Quality is one thing. 

FS: Last question, if you have 24 hours to spend alone in a city, where would you go and how would you spend it?

JS: I would love to go anywhere and do nothing but drawing, painting, and reading. Maybe do some sports and have long walks! I would love to go for a month as I have not have many off days.

No comments:

Post a Comment